Could you be the next hit Netflix director? A Creative Writing game for GCSE English Language Learners

Let's talk about the Creative Writing question!


If you teach GCSE English Language you'll know that Paper 1's writing question is worth more marks than any other question in that paper. The importance of this question is paramount to success and yet creativity in our learners is flagging. Creative Poverty links to Cultural Poverty, the subject of my research so hopefully you're seeing my interest here!

What's more prevalent however is this growing lack of confidence in our learners own ability to create. 

This, quite frankly, sucks. 

Our young people need this inspiration and creative ability not just to get 20+ out of 40 on the test but to feel like they can go out into the world and contribute something of themselves to it!

So, in an age of entertainment how can we switch the minds of our learners onto the creative process?



Hello this is Netflix- you're already greenlit!


Okay... I am really going to show my age here!

I have always loved South Park. As a show it is wonderful at parodying a great many things and in between gross out humour and outlandish situations it often manages to bring up some fantastic ideas and new ways of thinking- an opinion shared not just by fans but by the mainstream media!

In 2004, they released an episode which in short saw Cartman (the antagonist of the show) dress up in a crude robot costume to prank the gentle, gullible character of Butters. Cartman ends up being given away to a Hollywood studio which force him to continuously create Adam Sandler films. A right lark eh? You can even watch the clip right here!

Then I got thinking to myself... Could I use this sketch to teach the creative process to my learners?

Within 20 minutes I released that I certainly could! Two learners who always stop by my room before their main lesson test ran it and within that time they'd produce the outlines for 3 generally engaging stories starring Adam Sandler. Below is the task sheet I wrote up that you can use to run your own session! I've even included their best story idea as my example.


What I think I learned from writing this is that it's often the story beats that throw a learner off. They are quite capable of using Language/Structure features for the most part but don't trust themselves with delivering authentic work. My hopes that this game inspires learners struggling to produce this. I also feel very sorry for the exam markers this year, especially if they do not enjoy Adam Sandler.


The Adam Sandler Story Game!


You are a writer looking to break into the film industry and Netflix want you to pitch as many ideas to them as you can.

But…there is a catch!


Your film must include hit Hollywood actor Adam Sandler and include set story beats. How many ideas can you think of?


Tips:

  • Write the movie name last

  • Heartwarming stories are great

  • Have a twist

  • Give it some high stakes- there has to be something to lose and something to gain!


Example Movie: The CEO of Golf


Adam Sandler is a… hit golf instructor who teaches the head of a major fortune 500 corporation and has to… make sure his learner can compete in a tournament in which he bet his company because his reputation and career is now on the line! But there’s a problem with that… Adam Sandler is hit by a car and gets a head injury which means he forgets how to play golf. So he has to… rely on his ex-wife to help him get his memory back or else his client will lose the contest and he'll never work again!



Now using this blank template, write your own story. See how many you can create.


Movie Title 1:


Adam Sandler is a…


And has to…



Because...


But there's a problem with that…


So he has to…


Or else…


Again, this is a fun, silly task that can, nevertheless, help students who really struggle with forming ideas understand the process behind it!


My only request is that, when your learners make it big in Hollywood, you refer them back to me. At the very least, I want a cameo!




Comments

Popular Posts